Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-usrp library

From: Ges
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-usrp library
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:55:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric,

I tried using the gnuradio blocks in gmsk (the old python script : gmsk-test.py) and sending a file across from one usrp (using the basic daughter cards) to the other using SMA cable - the same connection setup I had mentioned earlier.

I am simply modulating a char stream using the blocks in gmsk-test.py and sending it out using usrp_sink and using usrp_source to receive and then demodualting using the blocks in gmsk-test.py and dumping to a file.

I am not sure what is happening, but the general_work() of the simple_correlator() simply returns 'zero'. And hence I have no output in the file_sink(). I have set a tx freq of 29.32e6 and a rx freq of the same value. I had tried with a gain of 0 on both sides n then with a gain of 20. But the results seem to be the same....

Is it because of the simple_correlator() or is somehting else possibly going wrong? Please help....

I will be trying out the new blocks in the gmsk2 implementation. I did not want to do a CVS update due to some other issues. I guess I will grab those blocks and recompile gnuradio-core.

Thanks a lot

-Gesly

Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:15:36AM -0800, Ges wrote:
> Oh k...
>

> I am not using the Flex boards. What do you recommend for using with
> the basic daughter cards - for sending from one board to the other
> over an SMA cable? Right now I have connected the TX_A port (board 1
> daughter card) to the RX_A port (board 2 daughter card). Will the
> default frequency values work right?

I think that benchmark_gmsk_tx and rx will work with the Basic Tx/Rx.
Use a frequency in the neighborhood of 29MHz, and still use a piece of
wire as an antenna on each. Note that you have zero filtering on
either the transmit or receive path, and that this will be spraying RF
all over the spectrum. Definitely not good practice.

> I hope to see something go across from one board to the other and
> then will try to use those blocks in Click.

You'll have much better luck using either the Flex 400 or Flex 2400 boards.

Are you still trying to glue click and GNU Radio together in the same
address space? If so, why? What's the advantage over using some
standard IPC mechanism between the two?

Eric