Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IPAQ, USRP, and USB 1.1

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IPAQ, USRP, and USB 1.1
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:45:22 -0700

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:15:52PM -0400, Lee Patton wrote:
> All -
>
> Clark was nice enough to outline some steps he saw as necessary for
> getting GNU Radio running on an IPAQ:
>
> "1. get an Ipaq (there are 520 mhz models now for ~$400)
>  2. install linux (http://familiar.handhelds.org/)
>  3. get a cross compiler for ipaq (see above)
>  4. port python to ipaq/linux
>  5. port gnuradio core to ipaq/linux, i assume just compiling it will
> work
>  6. port usrp to ipaq
>
> Any other comments on the feasibility of getting USRP working with USB
> 1.1 and IPAQ?

It would take some work.  I know others have made the USRP work on USB
1.1, at the expense of breaking support for 2.0.  I'd welcome a patch
that worked in both worlds.

I think the biggest problem with USB 1.1 is the puny throughput available.

> This seems to be the solution my group is leaning towards. I have my
> reservations (especially due to our short timeline), but I am frustrated
> by lack of hard dimensional/weight/power/operating
> temperature/humidity/vibrational/shielding constraints from the remote
> controlled airplane guys.
>
> Also Nokia 770 has USB 2.0 connectivity
> http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/6534.html
> But requires some hacks to get host support
> http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/01/no-solder-usb-host-method.html
>
> Also, as Clark pointed out, the 770 is probably a lot less power
> efficient than the IPAQ.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't own a PDA of any kind. Never have. Never will  --
> unless it does something cool like run GNU Radio, or I become a lot more
> important!
>
> v/r
>  - Lee

How about trying one of the AMD Geode NX boards?  E.g.,
http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_9863_10837%5E11090,00.html

Given your tight time schedule, I think that trying to work around the
absence of USB 2.0 and floating point on the IPAQ is going to be tough.

Eric