Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OS X High Speed Status

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OS X High Speed Status
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:31:09 -0400

Yes, there is code for higher speed USB 2.0 on OSX. On a Dual G4 @ 1.25 GHz with a $15 drop-in USB 2.0 card, I can get just over 30 M-Bytes/s read and 28.5 MBps write. Not the 32 MBps which I would really like, but it's about as minimal an implementation as I can get.

No, it's not in CVS yet. It currently requires OmniThreads, which is compiled into gnuradio-core, which the USRP cannot directly require or link to without some non-standard hacking. The compiled library will work properly so long as gnuradio-core is available in the dynamic library path, which means it'll work for pretty much any GNURadio python script. But applications must be linked with both libraries (usrp and gnuradio-core) - e.g. the test apps provided in the USRP source code.

The "fix" is either to (1) move the OmniThread package outside gnuradio-core into its own library (installed in $prefix/include instead of $prefix/include/gnuradio); or to (2) move to OSX-specific threads to avoid the linking issue entirely.

OR, (3) the better option but also the most difficult would be to move the whole of USRP's LIBUSB's function calls into the fusb_<> classes, which would then either call LIBUSB or do it itself. I would love to do this one, but it'll be complicated and time consuming both to figure out what to do as well as to test it on all platforms.

I am happy to provide a tarball with instructions to any OSX user who wants to try it. Just send me an email. Sooner or later it'll be posted on our WWW site < http://sdr.nd.edu >. - MLD