Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP underrun

From: hanwen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP underrun
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:40:38 +0800

Interesting about realtime scheduling?
What does it do and what can we benifit from it?

2006/8/2, Eric Blossom <address@hidden>:
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:26:58PM -0400, Lee Patton wrote:
> I see a single USRP underrun (uU) about four out of five times that my
> application starts.  My transmit work() routine couldn't be simpler: a
> for-loop that moves data from a local buffer to the output buffer.  So,
> I don't think I can scale it back or anything.
>
> Is there anything I can do to avoid these uU at startup?  Does anyone
> know what might be causing them? Unfortunately my application can't
> tolerate any under/overruns.
>
> Thanks,
>  -Lee

Have you tried enabling real time scheduling?
You'll need to be running as root or have CAP_SYS_NICE for it to work.

See gnuradio-examples/python/gmsk2/tunnel.py

   # Attempt to enable realtime scheduling
   r = gr.enable_realtime_scheduling()
   if r == gr.RT_OK:
       realtime = True
   else:
       realtime = False
       print "Note: failed to enable realtime scheduling"

Eric