[Discuss-gnuradio] problem with ^M (CR) in configure.ac and svn (Windows

From: Don Ward
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] problem with ^M (CR) in configure.ac and svn (Windows/MinGW)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:14:12 -0400

When I try to build with rev. 3220 on Windows with MinGW/msys, ./configure fails with

configure: creating ./config.status
./config.status: line 529: syntax error near unexpected token `\"'
./config.status: line 529: `  "\" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES \" ;;'

This can be traced to the following lines in configure:

"gr-trellis/src/python/run_tests" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES gr-trellis/src
/python/run_tests" ;;
 "\^M" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES \^M" ;;
 "Makefile" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES Makefile" ;;
 "\^M" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES \^M" ;;
 "config/Makefile^M" ) CONFIG_FILES="$CONFIG_FILES config/Makefile^M" ;;
 "depfiles" ) CONFIG_COMMANDS="$CONFIG_COMMANDS depfiles" ;;

Which are apparently produced by lines in configure.ac:

^M
AC_CONFIG_FILES([\^M
         Makefile \^M
         config/Makefile^M
])^M
^M

The "^M" that appear in the above denote the single control character for carriage return.

Removing the ^M characters from the AC_CONFIG_FILES fucntion in configure.ac fixes the problem.

Note that svn seems to ignore the ^M characters. It does not recognize the removal of the ^M characters as a change and will not report the file as being modified, will not report any diffs, will not revert, and (I am guessing) will not commit the change.

Can autoconf be fixed to ingore the extra ^M characters? Should svn recongize addition or removal of ^M characters as a change to a file? In any case, we need to fix configure.ac, and recognize that (at least in this case) saving files with ^M at the end of every line can be a problem.

Best regards,

-- Don Ward