Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] translating the signal from baseband to RF

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] translating the signal from baseband to RF
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:46:48 -0700

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:37:27PM -0500, Michael Ford wrote:
> With these old tutorials, it's hard to determine what blocks I should or
> should not be using. I've been messing around with wxpython in my
> transmission code in order to visually aid with any problems that might
> arise. With Tune(), I'm able to see corresonding differences in the received
> signal strength based on what I set the center frequency to be. However, the
> files that I send are not picked up on the receiving side.

The upconversion from complex baseband to the specified RF frequency
takes place in the USRP (actually a combination of the FPGA, AD9862 and
RF daughterboard).

I suggest you start by hooking up an oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer
to the output of whatever daughterboard you're using, and take a look at
the RF output with that.

Try usrp_siggen.py with a variety of options to begin to understand
what's going on.

Eric