Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FC5 x86_64

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FC5 x86_64
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:09:56 -0700

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:55:53PM -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
> OK, after being inactive in tinkering with GR for months (my students
> have been using gr, but I haven't been hacking myself) I decided to
> install the latest SVN on my x86_64 laptop, running under FC5.

Welcome back!

> There were two distro-specific problems I encountered, and I don't know
> if anyone wants to include the fixes for these in the SVN:
>
> 1) can't run USRP except under "root" uid after the normal install.
> There's no wiki help for us FC5 users on this matter.

I believe there's a hotplug based fixed that'll work:
See http://comsec.com/wiki?UsrpInstall towards the bottom.
At a minimum this should be documented in the new wiki at
  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/FC5Install
  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide

[ Still looking for someone to port the old wiki pages... ]

> 2) python files in "make install" process were distributed among two
> directories (/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages and
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages) in such a way that "relatve" imports
> (such as "import _usrp1") failed.   There are different ways to fix
> this, depending on the esthetics of the community.   My fix involved
> copying every file into lib64, but of course the python ascii files are
> arch-agnostic.
>
> So far, example code seems to work OK.

There's a discussion of this here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=python+lib64+fedora&submit=Search%21&idxname=discuss-gnuradio&max=10&result=normal&sort=score

I believe the problematic difference is between the definitions for
python script directory:

SuSE 9.3 Pro

checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.4
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory...
${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for Python include path... /usr/include/python2.4
checking Python.h usability... yes
checking Python.h presence... yes
checking for Python.h... yes

FC5

checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.4
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.4/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory...
${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for Python include path... /usr/include/python2.4
checking Python.h usability... yes
checking Python.h presence... yes
checking for Python.h... yes

This may be fixable by editing PYTHONPATH such that it includes both
lib64 and lib (in that order), but this seems brittle, particularly if
you've got 32-bit libs in lib...

We could also change our python install code such that it always uses
the execpath.

I'm open for suggestions on how to fix or work-around this.

Eric