Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files

From: Josh Jennings
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No audio on os x reading .dat files
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:24:50 +0200

No just add 'intelToHost_XX()'  or 'HostToIntel' functions for reading
data, or writing data.
Then a host sensitive reader would have these defined appropriately for
the endianness of
the host.

This is definitely the way to go. I have written the intel_to_host
functionality. I will do as Eric proposed and write a sink and source
block which takes care of this, unless someone comes up with it first.

This is done all the time throughout the networking code.

Obvious example. Should of thought of that first. ;-)

Obviously if the files are never going to be seen outside the particular
host, it doesn't matter.

This is also right, but I guess I came across it since I do not have a
method on my mac of acquiring source data. Therefore I looked at what
people had made available. Being able to share data across platforms
is definitely meaningful even if at this point in gnuradio it seems a
minor one since it seems most people using gnuradio use their own
methods of generating/acquiring signals. Da know, addressing
endianness could be taken for granted but it may bite back later.

Thanks,
Josh

On 8/18/06, John Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
Josh Jennings schrieb:

> As far as I know, one would need to make an endian sniffer which would
> either read a header in the file or decide on its own how to
> read/convert the file.

No just add 'intelToHost_XX()'  or 'HostToIntel' functions for reading
data, or writing data.
Then a host sensitive reader would have these defined appropriately for
the endianness of
the host.

This is done all the time throughout the networking code.

Perhaps to make it more efficient, 'Intel_Array_To_Host', or
'Host_Array_To_Intel' would
allow for converting chunks of data from the file format to the host format.

Obviously if the files are never going to be seen outside the particular
host, it doesn't matter.

The alternative would be to format data al la a 'IFF' chunk... if there
is a float or double
format for such...

John Clark