Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Control plane/Data plan communication using filed

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Control plane/Data plan communication using filedescriptors
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:25:05 -0700

Eric Blossom wrote:

> waterfallsink.py should be updated to work like fftsink.
> fftsink does not use pipes.

I see now that fftsink uses message queues (gr.msg_queue).

For a single producer and single consumer, this looks straightforward
and the consumer can do a blocking read to wait for a message (delete_head).

I see in the gr_msg_queue implementation that locks are used on insert
and removal, so is there anything more to it than having all the
producer gnuradio blocks calling insert_tail and having the consumer
thread do a blocking delete_head()? (Of course the message source needs
to be encoded in the message so they can be dispatched on the other side
to the right place.)

-Johnathan