[Discuss-gnuradio] Antenna Questions

From: Jim Borynec
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Antenna Questions
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:29:24 -0600

Hi All,

I've installed/compiled gnuradio on an Ubunto box. Together with a USRP and a 3 foot length of wire,
I've managed to turn my computer into an FM radio.
I really appreciated all of the tutorials and how-to's that people had prepared for me.
It made things a *lot* easier.

Next, I'd like to play with two antennas and compare the time latencies between them.
(this would give me some primitive direction finding abilities.)
I can put the antenna's out in the back yard, but I don't want to move my computer,

Are there any faq's on "roll your own" FM antennas?
Is it simply a matter of taking a coax cable, cutting bare the center wire for a metre and
plugging it into my basic RX daughter board?

The daughterboard has a jack for the antenna, but it looks too small for a normal cable TV sized coax cable.
what type of connector do I use?

If I keep the wires the same length then any time differencial in signals must be due to the different speed of light latencies in reception, correct?

How far from the computer can I move the USRP and still get decent throughput? can I put the antennas in the back yard and run them to a USRP by the side of the house (where there is a plugin), then run a USB wire to my computer inside the house?

Is there an easier way to do this stuff? I saw a picture of 4 antenna on the gnuradio passive radar page.
That is sort of the configuration I'll eventually want to work towards.

Thanks in advance for any help.

j.b.