[Discuss-gnuradio] Comparison of filters in C++ vs Python

From: Jim Borynec
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Comparison of filters in C++ vs Python
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:29:36 -0600

Hi,

Has anyone determined the basic overhead of a filter?
I can't help but feel that stringing two filters in a row
(e.g. one to add a value and the other to multiply something)
would be less efficient than a single filter which does both operations
internally.

Does the overhead of a filter basically swamp the computation involved?

I understand the advantages of being able to quickly assemble a complicated
filter from simpler filters.

Also, has anyone quantified the cost advantage to using C++ (as compared to
Python).

Is a single Python filter (which does an add and a multiply internally) more
efficient than two C++ filters strung together?

j.b.