[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: gnuradio trellis

From: Anastasopoulos Achilleas
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: gnuradio trellis
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:47:08 -0400 (EDT)

Oliver,

You are right:
Trellis implementation supports multi-dimensional constellations etc
(through the metric calculation block abstraction, etc), however,
in the examples and the supporting fsm_utils.py files
I have not included support for GMSK, and the automatic
generation of lookup tables for ISI channels is for-one dimensional modulations.
I think the extension should be straightforward and I'll be glad
to help you in this.

May I suggest you separate the task into two subproblems for reasons of usability by others:

1) GMSK sequence detection in AWGN channels
(which is a modulation with memory and in theory requires Viterbi
even in the absense of ISI),
and
2) GMSK equalization (ie, GMSK + ISI channel + noise -> Viterbi)

For 1) a modification of test_tcm.py is required and hopefully
an "automated" way to project any given GMSK modulation to its
N-dimensional components; maybe a python implementation of
the Gram-Schmidt (QR decomposition) algorithm...

For 2) a modification of the test_viterbi_equalization.py or
test_viterbi_equalization1.py is required together with
generalizing the code in fsm_utils.py to generate the lookup table
for multi-dimensional modulations.

best,
Achilleas