Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sampling artefact because of two step mixing?

From: Luis Simoes
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sampling artefact because of two step mixing?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:58:00 +0200

Hi Don,

the problem is that the second peaks are not at DC in baseband. For example: I
generate a sine tone at 2.444 Ghz. Then I tune the usrp to centre frequency
of 2.448 GHz. Now I can see the peak at -3 Mhz in base band. Ok, this is
correct because what Iam seeing is the original sine. When I tune the USPR to
centre frequency 2.450 Ghz I see an attenuated peak at 1 MHz in baseband what
correspond to 2.451Ghz. This second peak is 6 Mhz above the original sine.

If I rise the gain in the usrp_fft.py tool there appear more undesired peaks
but I am still feeding the USRP with olny one tone. If I decrease the gain to
eliminate all secondary peaks my original signal gets too weak and it is less
than 10 db over the noise floor.

I am trying several setting to find out what is the reason of all this. The
last try was:
1 sine tone at 2.488 Ghz feed into USRP
The result was:
one peak at 2.488 Ghz and one alt 2.432 GHz (20 dB's lower)
Now the secondary peak is 56 MHz away from the original tone!!!

Please, can anyone help me? I am getting desperate...

Luis