RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC real-time application?

From: Charles Swiger
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] ATSC real-time application?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:21:49 -0400

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 19:47 -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 11:11 -0500, Meiners, Jason wrote:
> > Has anyone benchmarked the ATSC encode function?  Can this be done in
> > real time?  Decode is always harder to do than encode :)
> >

> Actually, an HDTV transmitter function might fulfill a niche that
> couldn't be easily implemented otherwise. A pchdtv HD-5500 is
> $130, but these can't be cheap:
>
> http://www.broadcast.harris.com/product_portfolio/product_details.asp?sku=WWWAPEX

Actually it looks pretty good - the randomizer, Reed-Solomon encoder,
interleaver and Trellis Encoder already work in 2.x, all we need to
run in 0.9 is Field Sync Mux, Symbol Mapper and Weaver Mod head/tail -
drive a basic-TX and suitable analog upconverter and you have a low
power hi-def tv station ;)

Will an RFX400 pass a 6MHz wide signal? (AD834X mixer)

Here's the output of 0.9 atsc_tx re-sending some mpeg captured from a
local station (via a disk file, not realtime yet):

http://webpages.charter.net/cswiger/photos/atsc_tx_09.jpg