Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] data types and other questions

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] data types and other questions
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:53:24 -0800

address@hidden wrote:
> does this mean that the 64-bit gr_complex float is converted to integers
> (16bit
> I and 16bit Q) when it
> gets to the USRP?  This seems odd to me (but that could just be me not
> understanding), so I was wondering if maybe someone could help me understand.

The USRP sends and receives complex shorts (pairs of 16-bit ints) over
the USB bus.  The conversion to/from complex floats (pairs of 32-bit
floats) is done in the host computer.  Everything happening in the USRP
is fixed point.

There are alternative blocks you can instantiate in your programs which
won't do this conversion automatically for you, if you prefer to use the
fixed-point numbers.

Matt