Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Understanding the c++ interface

From: Dan Halperin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Understanding the c++ interface
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:37:05 -0800

Eric Blossom wrote:
> The rx_mux value of -1 means "do the right thing".  It ends up setting
> the mux to 0x32103210.
>
> The tx_mux value of -1 means "do the right thing".  For the single
> channel case it sets it to 0x0098.

Cool. Thanks!

>> I've also tried to mimic usrp_oscope.py and usrp_rx_cfile.py; I set the
>> gain to the average of the max and min gains (10.0 db). What am I
>> missing?
>>

> The basic_tx has _very_ low output power.
> Be sure to set the rx gain to its maximum value.

This seems to have fixed the problem.

Interesting. Does this mean that the python scripts are doing
daughterboard-specific cleverness to get good output even though they
report the gain to be 10db? (I intend to dive into the Python scripts in
the future to see what's up, I just haven't had time yet).

>> As an aside, is there a good reason the decimation/interpolation
>> arguments are not standardized across the various scripts? It's hard to
>> remember whether the argument is -I, -i, -D, or -d... similar questions
>> apply to frequency arguments (-f vs. -F).
>>

> The arguments are standardized across the python code.  Please feel
> free to submit a patch that makes these match the python code.  (You
> happen to be using two pieces of C++ code that were written at the
> beginning of time to test early usrp functionality.  They don't get
> used much, and were almost dropped from the distribution because they
> don't know how to talk to the daugtherboards.)

Well then I'll have to do just that :-).

Thanks for your help!

-Dan