Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fft scope frequent hangs

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fft scope frequent hangs
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:46:14 -0800

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 11:15:22AM -0500, Don Ward wrote:
> >I haven't been playing with the fft scope for a while until yesterday,
> >when I realized that it frequently hangs on my fc5 with two weeks ago
> >trunk gnuradio... The scope freezes (in all modes) and it needs to be
> >killed to get the control back. No underruns or any messgae that could
> >give a further investigation advice.
> >
> >Has anyone experienced the same? Is there any suggestion that could help
> >diagnose the problem?
>
> I find the scope will hang (on Windows with Cygwin or MinGW) if it (along
> with anything else that is running) overloads the cpu.  This is especially
> likely in x:y mode.
>
> -- Don W.

The problem doesn't appear to be platform specific.  In general our
current plotting code is dog slow.  It's mostly implemented in Python
and could use a serious overhaul.

There's an enhancement request, ticket:91, http://gnuradio.org/trac/ticket/91
that talks about improving the plotting peformance by coding up a
plotting widget in C++.

It's looking for an owner.  Hint, Hint.

Eric