Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Transmitter?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM Transmitter?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:53:54 -0500

"marcus estes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am a volunteer with a local non-profit based in Portland, OR that is
> preparing an license application for a full-power station as soon as a
> mysterious 5 day filing window is opened by the FCC later this year.
>
> We are currently investigating costs for the broadcast equipment.
> Could a 5,000 - 10,000 watt transmitter be built using GNU Radio and
> the appropriate hardware?

Theoretically, yes, but you'd still need the power amplifier and the
studio mixing equipment.

> Would there be significant cost savings involved?

No, it would probably cost more and be harder operationally.  And
you'll very likely need FCC type-approved equipment.

> If the code has been developed (this looks interesting:
> http://kd5zaa.cafe150.com/sdr/), is this platform stable enough to
> run a real radio station?

Probably not.  I haven't heard of anyone achieving anything like
30s/year downtime with GNU Radio.

The main strengths of software radio are the ability to do new things
by changing software, and to vary behavior (modulation, rates)
adaptively.  Neither is important for your application, which is to
produce a signal specified by the FCC and unlikely to change.

I would suggest that you find someone who understands broadcast radio
engineering.