[Discuss-gnuradio] Software stopping of runaway realtime processes?

From: Dan Halperin
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software stopping of runaway realtime processes?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:17:12 -0800

Hey,

I'm hoping someone has run into this problem before... We have a that lab we access remotely, and sometimes the students get a little overzealous in e.g. their rate selection, and the machines become unresponsive. I seem to be having a hard time getting them to stop using realtime mode.

2 Questions:

1) Can I somehow disable their ability to use realtime mode? The software fails gracefully in that case, I just can't find anything online about how to make the enable_realtime() call fail.

2) Can I set up some sort of watchdog process to auto-kill a process that is clearly going to cause the machine to become unresponsive? I'm not even sure how to identify such a process...

Thanks,

Dan