Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] scalar and vector streams

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] scalar and vector streams
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:39:21 -0800

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 04:37:18PM +0100, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> thanks Josh,
>
> (yes.. I'm trying to move as near as possible to ofdm on the python
> level)
> before diving into c++ block designing.
>
> I usually watch the doxygen.. but the point is:
> how can I be sure.. and learn details about the usage... eg. the
> question about gr_fft you've just kindly asked..
> ..
> shall I just guess and then bother  some experienced guy on the list? :)
>
> for example @ the moment I'm looking for a block that can map bytes to
> symbols.. but how can I learn if gr.chunks_to_symbols can be a
> candidate.. and how to use it?
> I mean: tutorial 9 is fine for the blocks it covers.. but for the
> others?

There are a couple of ways to map bytes to symbols.
gr.chunks_to_symbols is the most general.  It's usually used with
gr.packed_to_unpacked_bb in front of it.  That lets you split your
byte stream into k-bit chunks for use with gr.chunks_to_symbols.

http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr__packed__to__unpacked__bb.html
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr__chunks__to__symbols__bc.html

Eric