Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] libtool/linker/dynamic loader stuff

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] libtool/linker/dynamic loader stuff
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:58:25 -0500

That sounds good to me, but if we're talking a major change, I'd like
to throw out something somewhere between desire and requirement:

  If a component A is enabled, but a GNU Radio component B that is a
  dependency for A is not enabled (by configure), then build and make
  check both use the installed version of B.

This property is needed in order to be able to build separate packages
for separate parts of GNU Radio, or at least to do so reasonably.
Berndt: can you comment on whether this works ok now?  If so, can you
explain how/why?

I'll also comment that some systems, including the BSDs, use -R (or
-rpath) to encode the search path for dependencies in executables and
libraries.  This is different from the Linux use of a global path, and
the resulting apparently not infrequent use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  It is
also different from the Mac OS X way of encoding full paths for
dependencies.  I think libtool deals with this correctly.

It is likely that if all works ok on NetBSD that it will also be ok on
OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

I think GNU Radio largely has the desired properties already, but not
quite.  I believe that having a linker search path that looks in the
build tree and then the installed system at build time, and that then
avoids the build tree when final installation happens is sufficient.
It may be that there is a -lfoo instead of libfoo.la in a Makefile
now.

    Greg Troxel <address@hidden>