Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock linking error

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] mblock linking error
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:04:18 -0500

This problem is understood. There is a change in libtool in the Debian/Ubuntu community. I believed this was fixed here by finding out some shell changes but it is not.

If you cannot build mblock, you need to install pmt, which alway builds first. Go into the pmt directory and make install or sudo make install depending on your situation.

Then when you go back to the base directory and do make, the mblock (and the rest of the) make will complete quickly.

There are a couple of really aggravating things in Ubuntu 6.1 (maybe earlier) and libtool and link of sh to dash are at the top of my list. I could not understand what in the world was going on with these shells which had

#!/bin/sh

at the top from IBM for the Cell SDK (for example), and others, not working and really bombing badly. Ubuntu has placed /bin/dash, their step towards a posix compliant sh, in the symbolic link. Shell script authors have used sh in their scripts when they probably wanted the bash extensions and should have used bash. It is still a bit ugly to drop this on us without warning and to break so many shell scripts in the process.

Bob

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
Josh Blum wrote:

The same problem occurs on cygwin. I know cygwin is a lower priority,
but the issue may not be ubuntu specific. -josh

Roshan Baliga wrote:
I've run into the same problem on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) at trunk
rev 4662 (current). The trunk tree built fine for me on the same box a
month ago. (I already tried make distclean and bootstrap.)

Could you gentlemen please update and retry?

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine