Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The shortest pulse length

From: David Scaperoth
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The shortest pulse length
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:59:22 -0500

On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:29 AM, seph 004 wrote:

Well, I have implemented a bit of a strange setup which seems to be working somewhat now. I'm not really trying to view only the first few samples, I'm currently trying to track where I might of made a mistake with trying to generate a defined pulse with a specific length. My aim is to generate a very narrow band chirp to transmit on a little ultrasonic tranducer. I figured out which numerical values to the gr.modulation block produce which frequencies. Using this, I made a vector of the exact number of samples I want with the values to produce the frequencies I want. In my case 39-41 kHz. For some reason these low frequencies still make it through the transformer on the  basic TX db, so I'm using them. Initially I was just generating a sine wave, and trying to use gr.head to limit the number of samples, but I've since switched to this approach

I figured that if I wanted to produce a wave form lasting 10 msecs, then I would need at least 2500 samples. I got this number from the DAC rate of 128M and the highest interpolation factor of 512. When I test with the scope set to auto store, I spot the waveform, but it is only 1 msec long. So either I've lost a lot of samples somewhere, or my scaling is wrong.

How are you creating the flow graph?

I pretty much abandoned using gr.head, as it wasn't producing anything. At least now though I can see a waveform, though my scaling seems to have gone wrong somewhere. When you say you used a looback, do you mean you connected the TX db output  and RX db input, and used the gr.oscope block to view your signals?

Regards

Lance