Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building wxPython in Cygwin

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building wxPython in Cygwin
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:54:04 -0400

John Stralka wrote:

I'm trying to build wxPython 2.8.1.1 under Cygwin following the instructions on http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/wxPythonCygwin . I have successfully done
this previously, but was having difficulty making GNU Radio (which I have
since identified what was wrong).  I went through an uninstalled my
wxPython and tried to rebuild it.  Unfortunately, now I getting stuck on
"make". I get the following error. Are there any suggestions as to what may
be wrong?

Configured wxWidgets 2.8.1 for `i686-pc-cygwin'
  Which GUI toolkit should wxWidgets use?                 msw
  Should wxWidgets be compiled into single library?       no
  Should wxWidgets be compiled in debug mode?             no
  Should wxWidgets be linked as a shared library?         yes
  Should wxWidgets be compiled in Unicode mode?           no
  What level of wxWidgets compatibility should be enabled?
                                       wxWidgets 2.4      no
                                       wxWidgets 2.6      yes
  Which libraries should wxWidgets use?
                                       jpeg               sys

You are using your system jpeg library, but the instructions on the wiki were tested using the wxWidgets builtin jpeg library.

                                       png                sys
                                       regex              sys
                                       tiff               builtin
                                       zlib               sys
                                       odbc               no
                                       expat              sys
                                       libmspack          no
                                       sdl                no

address@hidden /usr/src/wxPython-src-2.8.1.1/build-local
$ make
/usr/src/wxPython-src-2.8.1.1/build-local/bk-deps gcc -c -o wxtiff_tif_jpeg.o -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXDEBUG__ -I/usr/src/wxPython-src-2.8.1.1/build-local/lib/wx/include/msw-ansi-debug-2.8 -I../include -Wall -Wundef -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing ../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c: In function `alloc_downsampled_buffers':
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c:579: error: structure has no member named `width_in_blocks'
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c: In function `JPEGEncodeRaw':
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c:1250: error: structure has no member named `width_in_blocks'
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c: In function `JPEGPostEncode':
../src/tiff/tif_jpeg.c:1311: error: structure has no member named `width_in_blocks'
make: *** [wxtiff_tif_jpeg.o] Error 1

The errors appear to be associated with the jpeg functions. Try adding "--with-libjpeg=builtin" to your ../configure to use the libjpeg that comes with wxPython. Or, if you don't need it, you can try uninstalling the Cygwin libjpeg-devel package. Or, if you really want to get into it, you can compare your /usr/include/jpeglib.h with wxPython-src-2.8.1.1/src/jpeg/jpeglib.h and try to figure out if you need a newer version (or an older version; or a different version ...).

Let me know if this works; if it does I will add a note in the wiki instructions.

-- Don Ward