Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Fwd: [FFTW-announce] FFTW 3.2-alpha2 is availabl

From: Joshua Lackey
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [Fwd: [FFTW-announce] FFTW 3.2-alpha2 is available, Cell support, MPI]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:11:13 -0800

Quoting Eric Blossom (address@hidden):
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:41:16PM +0100, Marcus Leech wrote:
> > Matt Ettus wrote:
> > >
> > >This bodes well for cell support...
> > On a related subject, FFTW supports multi-threaded FFTs.  Is there
> > support for that in Gnu Radio yet,
> >  perhaps enabled automatically if it's running on a multi-CPU system?
>
> No support for it at this point.

I played around with FFTW's support of multi-threaded FFTs on a
dual-proc (not dual-core) machine a few years ago.  It was slower unless
you were doing a transform with 100,000 points or so.  (Or thereabouts.)

Unless things have changed drastically, it was rather dissapointing and,
obviously, not worth it.