Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] looking for answers

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] looking for answers
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 07:48:20 -0700

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 08:58:53AM -0700, bellzii wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> there has been a list of questions that have been puzzling me
>
> 1) Can we access the memory of the FPGA on the usrp and store on it data? If
> yes does that mean that i can use the usrp without having to connect it to a
> PC?

There's very little memory in the FPGA.  The FPGA is an Altera EP1C12,
take a look at the data sheet for the details.

> 2) what are those pins on the USRP (can they be used to connect a memory)

If you can figure out how to interface to some kind of memory with the
available 32-pins (assuming 1 Basic Tx, 1 Basic Rx) then yes.

> 3) What happens to the usrp when i run a python code on it? is the code
> something volatile like a RAM ?or is it loaded on the FPGA?

No C++ or Python code ever runs on the USRP.  All of that code runs on the
host computer.

Take a look at this:

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpRfxDiagrams

Also, you may want to take a look at the USRP schematics.  Directions
for downloading the schematics can be found here
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki

Eric