Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Final Packet(s) dropped

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Final Packet(s) dropped
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:23:00 -0400

Richard Alimi wrote:
Hello All,

I am currently having a problem with packet transmission similar to the one Tom Rondeau had mentioned in his February 14th 2006 post titled 'Dropped Packets.' However, there was no general resolution given there.

When I run the dbpsk/dqpsk/gmsk transmitter/receiver under the gnuradio-examples directory (revision 4796), it always seems to drop the last packet, leading me to believe this hasn't been fully fixed. Using the --discontinuous option produces the same result. Even adding a time.sleep(1) before fg.wait() doesn't seem to fix it, as suggested by that post.

I am dangerously jumping into a place that I don't understand, but I have had a similar problem in a non-gnu-radio data system and it's possible, I suppose, that something similar is going on here.

The issue is the timing of the signal to turn the TX off versus the time required to get the last data bit actually on the air. In the AX.25 packet system in question, the application would unkey the transmitter as soon as the last payload bit was sent. However, there was a downstream scrambler that caused a delay of some number of bit times. We had to set a parameter to keep the TX keyed for a few milliseconds after the end of data in order to allow all the data in the scrambler to make it out over the air. In the AX.25 protocol, that was the "txtail" parameter.

Again, I have no idea if this applies to your situation, but it caused us some real head scratching until we figured out what was going on.

John