[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: pthreads / NT Threads under win32

From: Don Ward
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: pthreads / NT Threads under win32
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:44:22 -0400

Can any of you who build GNU Radio under MinGW or Cygwin please let me
know whether our omnithread implementation ends up using pthreads or
NT threads?
You should be able to tell by looking at the output from running
configure.  If you see a message "checking for NT threads" it means we
didn't find pthreads.

GNU Radio uses pthreads on Cygwin, but uses NT threads on MSYS/MinGW.

Why I ask, is that I'm considering removing the support for NT
Threads in gr_omnithread.  If we did this, we could then take advantage
of the posix thread cancellation features, which aren't currently
available in the omnithread interface.

Could you elaborate on what you want to do?  Would we use pthreads
directly or would we still be using omnithread?  Should we find out
if Pthreads-win32 http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32 can be used in
GNU Radio?  I would be happy to help if that is what is needed.

I prefer to use GNU Radio on MSYS/Mingw and am willing to put in some
effort to keep it running there.

-- Don Ward