Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User Generated Signals

From: Jonathan Shan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] User Generated Signals
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 00:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Jonathan Shan wrote:

I am trying to transmit and receive a signal that the user defines. I am following the directions written by Eric Blossom on independently generating signals and then transmitting them.
"
 u = usrp.sink_c(...)

 i = <generate I somehow>
 q = <generate Q somehow>
 f2c = gr.float_to_complex()
 fg.connect(i, (f2c, 0))
 fg.connect(q, (f2c, 1))
 fg.connect(f2c, u)
"

i = [1000, .... , 923]   // 16 values in this array, one period of cosine
q = [0, .....,  -383]   // calculated using hilbert transform, 16 values

When I connect f2c to gr.filesink, I see a cosine wave. However, the received signal looks like noise centered around 51.

I tried changing the number of samples in i, q to larger values. Same result. I also tried setting the transmit gain to max.

I think the problem is modulation / de-modulation. But what is usrp.tune(carrier_freq) for? I can transmit and receive correctly gr.sig_source_c just using usrp.tune on both ends.

Jonathan Shan