Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to modify an existing source code without rec

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to modify an existing source code without recompiling the entire gnuradio-core
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:18:10 -0400

pradeepbhat wrote:
I am trying to modify the cpp files in gnuradio-core folder but after any modification I have to recompile every thing in the gnuradio-core, do you
know a faster or a better way to do this thing. also, I can't run the
code in  the debugging mode.

If what you're doing is modifying a GR block, then I'd recommend starting with "how to write a block", copying the source you want to modify into the gr-howto directory structure, modifying it there, and installing it from there. While it doesn't get referenced in the same manner in Python ("howto.blah" instead of "gr.blah"), (re) compiling is very fast and it really is quite simple to move between "howto" and "gr" in Python. Admittedly it's been a while since I looked at "howto", but I'm sure it will work for this case (modifying existing gnuradio-core GR blocks).

OTOH, for modifying other GR stuff that is in .cpp, there really isn't a good way around just using the source in gnuradio-core. Good luck! - MLD