Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPM timing recovery

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CPM timing recovery
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:44:50 -0400

Since the signal will not really have infinite bandwidth (instantaneous transitions from one state to the next), the envelope will not be of constant modulus. The signal will be amplitude modulated with a component due to the data transitions. Looking at the modulus or modulus squared will reveal a line in the fft due to this amplitude modulation.

Bob

David Scaperoth wrote:
hey all,
I am trying to demodulate a CPM (for now I'm doing it with 4-CPFSK signal with Raised Cosine pusle shaping) signal without knowing the symbol rate (i.e. the samples per symbol). does anyone know if this is possible? Papers that I have read on timing recovery for CPM assume that the symbol period is known. thanks, David