Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] noise problem with USRP

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] noise problem with USRP
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:52:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> I'm seeing a strange noise issue with my USRP.  I have a simple
> antenna
> fashioned out of a spool of wire connected to a LF-DC daughterboard

So if (1) antenna is connected and (2) you are using notebook
connected to mains then you see 120Hz noise.  So I think the
noise comes from the power brick and enters via the antenna.

Sounds like the notebook power supply or the cables it
connects to radiates RF.  Not surprizing at all for a
switching power supply

Try installing some ferrite toroids on both of the cables on
the power brick.  Use as many turns as you can through the
toroid.

Another option is to use an antenna that is farther away from the
power brick and bring the signal back using a long coax feed line.
Use the inverse square law to your advantage.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden