Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT Spectral smoothing]

From: Trond Danielsen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT Spectral smoothing]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:10:57 +0200

2007/6/29, Aadil Volkwin <address@hidden>:
Hi,

My apologies for the lengthy silence. I have been out of town and unable
to respond to mail.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean when you ask if the smoothing is
over time or frequency.

In essence, I would like to reproduce an output comparable to that of a
spectrum analyser.

That is, the GNU FFT show the frequencies and their related power in dB
respectively, instantaneously.

I would like to average the values of the Power spectrum and obtain an
output showing the "smoothed/average" frequency values over a certain
period. for instance say 100 samples of each frequency. Such that the
values outputted are more stable and accurate and less eratic.

As I am new to GNU_RADIO, I am not aware if the functionality for
smoothing is built in and If I would need to write code to do this
averaging of values, i'm not quite clear on where to begin.

My apologies again for the lengthy delay and look forward and appreciate
your assistance regarding this matter.

regards,

Aadil Volkwin

You can use the single pole iir filter to smooth the signal. The
single pole filter is also known as a exponential moving average
filter. You can find the GNU Radio documentation for it here:
http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/classgr__single__pole__iir__filter__cc.html

If you want to know more, I can recommend this:
http://www.dspguide.com/ch19/2.htm

--
Trond Danielsen