Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Deeper story on FCC versus open source SDR

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Deeper story on FCC versus open source SDR
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:05:07 -0700

John Gilmore schrieb:
http://news.com.com/Feds+snub+open+source+for+smart+radios/2100-1041_3-6195102.html

This story had more details and investigation than the others I'd seen.

This article was sent out on the list a few weeks ago. I personally see such a ruling as sinster. As it stands with 802.11 and 'FreeBSD' + Sam Leffler's HAL, while allowing for much more application variablility than the 'access point', and 'station' model of using 802.11... the closed 'HAL' has presented many obsticles to applications which would operate in the regulation limit, such as lower than X power or within X bandwidth, but because of the FCC's paranoia (and other regulatory agencies around the world...), such applications as 5 MHz bandwith 802.11 operation, are very difficult to acheve without paying '3-rd' party developers to make crappy software 'attempts', then charge more for 'fixing', or even eventually saying that 'you needs are such small potatoes that we don't want your business'.

For companies that have the funding, I'm sure such regulations are minor obstacles, just part of the development costs. However for many smaller operations, or even 'low funded' operations in bigger companies these sorts of regulations are basically brick walls to innovative products...

John Clark