[Discuss-gnuradio] 4-bit quantization and rounding

From: eenrti
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] 4-bit quantization and rounding
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:41:45 +0100

Hello
I have built a lower-bit quantization scheme in the rx_bufffer.v using 4-bit samples, storing one byte for each clock sample (for both I and Q) and then filling up the 16-bit FIFO with another 8 bit value coming from the next clock sample.

Whan I did some tests and plotted the results everything looked fine, like frequency and sahpe of the waveform, I could see though some spikes equal to a value of 1. This is coming from the rounding effect which I have not removed. When I do remove that then the spikes become more (in population not in amplitude) and then I had a look and I saw in the list that there is a DC offset that causes that?

Can anyone advice me how to get rid of these spikes?

Thank you
Rigas