Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrading from Gnu Radio Version 2.8 to 3.0

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrading from Gnu Radio Version 2.8 to 3.0
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:17:37 -0700

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:30:29PM -0500, Ryan Rutherford wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> A while back, I built some new blocks for testing a system of ours using
> mostly the GMSK code out of version 2.8.  If I were to upgrade to
> version 3.0.4 would I encounter problems using the blocks compiled and
> used with 2.8?  The reason I ask this question is I want to be up to
> date with the GNU Radio, but don't want to ruin any work I have done in
> the previous version.
>
> Also aside from bug-fixes, could anyone tell me (in short) the major
> difference between GnuRadio 2.8 and 3.0?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ryan

The primary changes are in the build system.

It shouldn't be hard to port blocks written for 2.8.  Are you
currently building your blocks in the main tree, or outside of it, as
suggested in the "How to Write a Block" article?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/doc/howto-write-a-block.html

If you follow the strategy in "How to Write a Block", I think you'll
find the port straight-forward.  Most likely just some Makefile.am
hacking.

Eric