[Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronous bitstream output using ppio_ppdev?

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronous bitstream output using ppio_ppdev?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:04:29 -0400

I'm working on a GNU Radio application that demodulates a synchronous bitstream from a spacecraft telemetry downlink. Once I have the bitstream, I need to get it back onto a wire in order to feed it into our existing equipment.

Is it possible to do this by using the ppio_ppdev? I would get the bitstream unpacked into the LSBits of a stream of bytes, and write these using ppio_ppdev.write_data().

The bitstream is running at 76800 bits/sec, so my questions are:

1) Is ppio_ppdev fast enough to keep up with this bitrate?

2) Can this be done from Python, or does it need to be embedded in a C++ block?

3) Are there other, better or easier ways to do this, such as using one of the debug pins on a USRP daughterboard?