[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GMSK demodulation (Thomas Tsou)

From: Jeffrey Karrels
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: GMSK demodulation (Thomas Tsou)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:12:53 -0400

> On 8/23/07, Jeffrey Karrels <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hello all
> >
> > i am looking at gmsk again. i had two questions come up.
> >
> > 1) does clock recovery normally take place after fm demod?
>
> Sure.

Let me reword that, what is the benefit of doing fm demod then clock
recovery versus clock recovery then fm demod.

> > 2) what clock recovery algo would one normally find in a receiver like
> > a GSM receiver?
>
> M&M, Gardner, wired clocks... You're going to have to be more specific here.

the GMSK block uses M&M. Let's take a standard cell phone as example.
What are the chances if I had the DSP code of cell phone that I would
find M&M in there. Is Gardner any better? et cetera...

Does any of that make any sense or am I off in the woods somewhere?