Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR & USRP

From: Sabu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR & USRP
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:02:37 +0530

Hello,
I (Sabu) too is getting familiar with USRP in an inevitably slow pace.
Hope the following will answer your question partly.

This URL http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/TitleIndex gives important references that
can be helpful for GNUradio s/w installation depending on your choice of OS.

Once installation is completed, to receive FM broadcast (88-108MHz) radio using BasicRx,
you can use usrp_wfm_rcv.py available in the following directory node:

gnuradio-3.0.4\gnuradio-examples\python\usrp (see other examples given in this node as well).

FM reception would require an RF front-end (filter + amplifier with gain-range 25 to 35dBm) mostly.
It seems, front-end solution at URL http://comsec.com/wiki?RfFrontEnd is obsolete (right?).
Note:
-- Check out the total current consumption while you rig-up & test RF front-end so that inadvertent
   mistakes can be avoided.
   if you are facing some problem since some of the beginer problems are answered therein.

I am yet to get familiar with the BasicTx part in order to answer your question completely(i.e Digital
Communication channel). I presume BasicTx also would require a front-end in accordance with the
expected range of the voice communication channel.

I am not sure whether a single USRP board can function in FM loopback mode over the USB interface
using BasicRx and BasicTx.

regards
K N Sabu
C-DAC India