[Discuss-gnuradio] This looks really hard! -is it really?

From: Peter Moreton
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] This looks really hard! -is it really?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:36:38 +0000 (GMT)

Hello, I have rather foolishly offered to 'look into' SDR for an Amateur Radio Astronomy project, simply on the basis that I am a software developer, have some electronics background, and have an FPGA development kit to hand (!). Having had a very quick look at GnuRadio, it looks very powerful, and I wonder if someone could give me any advice on how practical it would be to develop a VLF receiver using GnuRadio. In particular, what do I need to construct to get started. Things I have to available are: A spare PC, Linux, an Altera Stratix-II GX FPGA board with USB and PCI-Express interfaces, and software licenses to develop FPGA code. I guess my question is, what do I need for the antenna interface, and do I need anything else. Thanks in advance.