Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Vista, Xp, or Linux?

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Vista, Xp, or Linux?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:40:11 -0400

Hi Kevin,

1) Has anyone had any luck installing GNURadio under Vista using Cygwin or
MinGW method?

I haven't tried Vista. I don't expect it to be different from XP, but we won't know until someone tries it.

2) Are there any performance issues running GNURadio under windows (XP or
Vista) as opposed to Linux?

It is certainly easier to install GNU Radio on Linux, but it does work under both Cygwin and MinGW as well.

I mostly run the MinGW version but have also built and tested it under Cygwin and Debian Linux. For my application the MinGW version is the fastest (50-60% of cpu time), the Cygwin version is the slowest (70-80% of cpu), and the Linux version is somewhere in between. I haven't tracked down what causes the difference; it could be something as simple (and fixable) as compile options for FFTW or as complicated (and difficult to fix) as graphics display speed.

One advantage of Windows is that you can set the priority of the thread that processes USRP data to eliminate overruns and data processing hiccups caused by window management and display events without noticeable impact on GUI responsiveness. I think the only option on Linux is to use realtime priority, which requires root access; I don't know if this affects GUI responsiveness.

My impression is that Windows isn't so good if you need low latency, but I can't quantify (or even verify) that.

-- Don