Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] m-block <--> GR block integration

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] m-block <--> GR block integration
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:14:30 -0400

Hi Hugh,

So, I opened up a can of worms from that e-mail :)

This functionality is actually scheduled to be worked on by Eric in about two weeks. He has been holding off on doing this because of a performance problem in the m-block that we're not 100% sure of yet.

In short, the performance problem is significant enough to cripple the inband code which you want to use for timestamps purposes. The blocks are basically having trouble keeping up with the USRP which causes memory issues, overruns, underruns, you name it!

My suggestion would be to wait it out for a couple weeks until the m-block problem is fixed and we release a stable version of the inband code. Leo and I are wrapping up the inband code right now, we just committed one of the last missing pieces of the code today.

Eric probably has a solid idea of how to glue the GR blocks and m-blocks together since he wrote the code for both blocks and has been thinking about it since I've also been poking him to write the code. So he may just want to tackle it himself, or if you're sincerely interested in helping maybe you can work on it with him. We will probably be discussing the interface over the list soon which we all could participate in.

- George

Hugh Brunk wrote:
Hello all,

I've got an application that needs the new inband timestamp capability, and could really use some of the stuff already provided as GR blocks. So what I need is m-block support for GR flowgraphs. Is anybody currently working on this? If so I'd be happy to help out, and if not, I'd like to see if it makes sense for me to tackle this myself and contribute it back to gnuradio.

I'd be happy for any advice, information, etc. that's not available on the web. I noticed that George said he could email the latest RBF, so I'm going to ping him about that separately.

Thanks,
/Hugh