[Discuss-gnuradio] implementing actual blocks in python

From: Josh Blum
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] implementing actual blocks in python
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:20:17 -0500

Hello,

I was thinking of an interesting feature for gnuradio: Suppose that the gnuradio framework could also support blocks written in python. Not hier-blocks, but actual data processing done in python. Meaning, one would write a python class. The class would have an io signature, and a function called work, where work would take a vector of floats/ints, process the data, and return a vector of floats/ints (just like in the c++). Yes, of course, this would be slower than c++. The idea favors rapid testing, no recompiling; just run the flow graph again after changing your python file.

Most likely, we would need some kind of "generic forwarding block", written in c++/swig, that would take a custom python class as an argument, and swig would handle the passing of data into and out of the work method of the python class.

I have no idea how this could be implemented with the current framework. But if possible, this would be a tremendous thing to have.

Thoughts?
-Josh