Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual

From: Firas A.
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finished Unofficial Gnuradio User Manual
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:14:59 -0800 (PST)

Eric Blossom wrote:
> Here's my first set of suggestions:
>
>   * Submit patches to patch-gnuradio for missing or incorrect
> documentation in the .h or .py files.

Ok. I will start doing it.

>   * Doxygen can generate XML output.  That is, it'll handle the
> automatic extraction for you.  From there you could write some XSLT
> that would convert that into docbook format.  The docbook tools
> provide several output formats including nice looking pdfs.  This would
> get us printed docs that track the source, and thus are "future
> proof."
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/output.html
>
> The "Linux Documentation Project" uses docbook.  Their docs provide
> several recipes that may be useful.  See for example,
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/index.html
>
>   * Look at epydoc for extracting docs from the python code.  Doxygen
> also apparently has some support for this, but it's new and unfamiliar
> to me.  It's probably worth investigating.
>
> FYI, docbook is nice in that it's non-proprietary, can be edited with
> any text editor, and there is a complete set of free tools around it.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

It seems that doxygen has many interesting back doors!!.Look to the
following documentation generated by doxygen :
http://kdevelop.org/HEAD/doc/api/html/

>That's great what you've done, and I think Eric's suggestions are right
>on. As one of the guys to blame for lack of documentation in some of the
>blocks, I'm glad you've gone about solving some of this. It'd be great,
>though, if you could help us update the Doxygen comments in the code
>itself, which would help the project grow and keep the code relevant and
>understandable. Using Doxygen to produce documentation for the Python
>code, too, would be great.

>Thanks again for your work,
>Tom

Dear Eric, Tom

I will try to follow your advices, and will try to master doxygen and find
out how to use it to produce nice and useful gnuradio documentation. Thank
you.

Firas