Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-DVB working flawlessly

From: David I. Emery
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Soft-DVB working flawlessly
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:09:52 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 11:18:53AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Quoting John Clark <address@hidden>:
>
> >John Gilmore schrieb:
> >>I can already think of one use that others can make of your
> >>transmitter.  EFF and I are interested in measuring the DRM responses
>
> I am interested in a dvb-s receiver, but if I understand correctly
> most open/free satellite transponders are wider than our current 8MHz
> bandwidth.

        Yes, and no.   Most signals you might be interested in are, but
not all ... there are lots and lots of SD DSNG signals from satellite
news trucks with symbol rates around 3978.7 Ksym/sec (a standard for a
5.5 Mbs transport stream with 3/4 FEC) and a few other rates near that
in use.   These signals should be narrow enough to work with the USRP.

        I am hoping the USRP II will have the resources to do full
transponder DVB-S and DVB-S2 stuff in some mode or another - there is
definately a need for this for signal analysis/transponder IDing...

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in