[Discuss-gnuradio] Mysterious rapid-capture bug

From: John Bratteli
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mysterious rapid-capture bug
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:29:48 -0800 (PST)

I brought this up some time ago, but no one was able
to help me.  I have a little more information now, so
maybe we can make progress.

In the application we are working on, we would like to
perform continuous split-second captures from the USRP
over days at a time.  Unfortunately, it hangs after an
indeterminate amount of time.  The power of the
computer running the program seems to have some
bearing on the time before crash, but it is still
pretty random.  We have run times from 2min to 23hrs.

I wrote a simple script to reproduce the bug.  All it
does is record from the USRP to a vector for .1 sec,
then throws the vector away.  Tracing the problem, I
find that top_block.run() calls
top_block_run_unlocked(*args), which calls
_gnuradio_swig_py_runtime.top_block_run_unlocked(*args),
which never returns.  I haven't traced it any farther
as that last appears to be a compiled C++ library, and
I wouldn't know where the source is.

Any help in relieving my ignorance would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John Bratteli
Texas A&M-Commerce