Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio 3.1.2rc0 tarballs available for testing

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio 3.1.2rc0 tarballs available for testing
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:03:04 -0400

"Johnathan Corgan" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/15/08, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> See README.components for how to deal with this.  This splits all of the
>>  pieces of GNU Radio into independent builds.  It probably does not make
>>  sense to have one pkgsrc package per component, and probably
>>  "gnuradio-core" should have a bunch of components in it.  Basically, I
>>  see no reason for someone to want to install pmt but not gnuradio-core -
>>  the real reason to split is to avoid depdendencies or huge things.
>
> BTW, the README.components script is in the trunk only, not part of
> the regular release.  The build dependencies of the trunk are
> substantially different and the script would not work for the 3.1.2

Sorry, I was confused about what was in the release candidate and
Berndt's build troubles caused me to jump to the wrong conclusion.

> release.   In case anyone is wondering, this script is an example of
> an *alternative* way to build GNU Radio, primarily of interest to *BSD
> users.

Just to clarify a bit:

The alternative fine-grained build (besides being useful for ensuring
the build procedure is squeaky-clean) is aimed at packaging systems that
want to make a number of packages from one source tarball and do so with
multiple separate builds, rather than one build and then having N
separate lists of files.  For build GNU Radio from svn as a regular user
rather than package maintainer on *BSD, the existing build system works
fine.