Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device

From: David I. Emery
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:29:57 -0400

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 07:38:13PM -0500, Rick Parrish wrote:
> Jeff Brower wrote:
> >If you're looking at low bitrate codecs for GNU radio, why use a
> >hardware (dongle)dependent solution? You might look at MELPe, which
> >provides 600, 1200, and 2400 bps,and can be implemented as a software
> >solution. MELPe is a US/NATO standard (STANAG4591). Common
> >applications are HF radio and L band satellite apps where bandwidth is
> >very limited.
> My interest is what is actually being used - which in the case of public
> safety communications is the P25 variant of IMBE. FWIW, a closed source
> PC hosted IMBE vocoder exists now.

        Is this a DVSI licensed and publically available closed source
module or something "unofficial" or not generally available to the world
at large ?  It has obviously long been possible to recode some reverse
engineered DSP chip based IMBE implemenation into C++ source code for
Wintel/Unix/BSD use, but this would not be free of license and patent
issues... and could not be made part of an open sourced project or
product without a DVSI deal (and it appears they don't see this as in
their interest).

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in