[Discuss-gnuradio] RE: GNU Radio on VMWare

From: Andrew Rose
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] RE: GNU Radio on VMWare
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:44:39 -0000

> First, I wanted to know if that is even possible to do for
> development (inside virtual machine development)?

For what it's worth, I installed GNU Radio on CentOS 4 under VMWare.  I
successfully built it but (from by experience and from subsequent
reading of the VMWare documentation) it doesn't support recording from a
microphone connected to the sound card.

If you've got a USRP, that may not be a problem for you.  However, if,
like me, you're hoping to use a scanner to connect via the sound card,
VMWare won't work for you.  (Alternatively, later versions of VMWare may
support the microphone.  I was using a Beta of v2.)

In the end, I found it was trivial to install Ubuntu (Gutsy) for
dual-booting with my Windows XP system.  This was definitely the easiest
way to get everything working.  (I'd previously used the Cygwin
installation method but the performance had been unacceptably poor.)

Andrew