Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:40:59 -0600 (CST)

Gregory-

> You guys do realize that the 'hardware' AMBE solutions are just
> software running on a TI DSP, don't you?

Have you been following this thread and mention of TI DSPs, other low bitrate
codecs that run on TI DSPs (MELPe), etc?
 We were speculating on which underlying TI chip that DVSI had ROM'ed for their
IMBE implementation, which should
answer your question.

> Unlike filters or RF mixers wisely implemented in the analog domain
> for reasons of physics, dynamic range, and component availability AMBE
> is available only on chips in order to protect the ability of some to
> profit at the expense of freedom and flexibility for users of the
> technology.  (I'm making no argument here about the ethics of limiting
> people's freedom in order to maximize profit, only pointing out the
> irrefutable fact it is being done. Being that this is *GNU*Radio
> perhaps I should be, however).

My context in making a point about when to use software vs. hardware is solely
from an engineering perspective -- get
it working correctly, well and reliably, without wasting time.  Know when to
make the tradeoff, and move on.

As good as x86 processors are and continue to become, clearly they waste
millions of transistors on motherboard and
software compatibility, leaving many weaknesses to be exploited by specialized
chips.  DSPs, FPGAs, many-core network
processors are examples that highlight the situation.  These vendors continue
to thrive, doing better every year, just
as does Intel.

As for DSPs specifically, Intel has been trying to convince people of a compute
world without DSPs since 1995, when
they came up with NSP.  Obviously it's not going to happen as long as they are
tied to support for standard OS's and
motherboards.

-Jeff